Home / Support For Adults

Support For Adults

advice and help



Autism Bucks Adult Social Group Meetings, where you can meet others with Autism or Asperger’s in a safe environment and:

~Just sit and listen.
~Make suggestions as to what you want from the group.
~Engage in activities, if you wish to.


There are now two adult social groups, one in Aylesbury and one in High Wycombe with dates set during the year you can find these on our what’s on page.

You may be more than happy with your own company, or, you may want to engage with others but find barriers are preventing you from doing so. You may want to build upon your social skills, as many social rules and cues are unwritten. Social situations can be stressful and cause understandable anxiety.

TalkBack in Buckinghamshire aims to support and develop self advocacy and participation in groups across Bucks. These groups also look to empower people who often have not been listened to. TalkBack hope to raise issues and concerns. Information about The Health Passport for Bucks, (for residents in the county 18 years and over).

Click here to access a social skills guide, that you may find useful.

Learning disability liaison nurses are located at Stoke Mandeville Hospital and are available there to help your hospital experience.  These specialist nurses aim to support inpatient and outpatient admissions and appointments.  Contact: Karen Howsam Tel: 0787 6231051 or, Nichola Edmonds Tel: 0781 8646262


Support agencies:
Access a listing of Buckinghamshire support agencies, here.

Autism alert card:
An autism alert card can be carried by a person who has autism and used in situations where communication may be difficult. In Buckinghamshire we are encouraging people to use the National Autistic Society Autism alert card.  For more details go to the following link. Please Contact The NAS Head Office to order a card and card holder: Click here for NAS Contact Page

Training and publications:
Two adults with autism, residing in Buckinghamshire, aware of their personal profiles and the challenges they have faced throughout their lives, are keen to promote the understanding and appreciation of Autism. Namely, Richard Maguire and Paul Isaacs.  Both Richard and Paul are published authors,  public speakers and trainers with a wealth of knowledge and understanding to impart to their peers, professionals and educationalists.


Personal Independence Payments 

You may be able to get help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability.

How to claim

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone.



Click the links below to go to the respective pages.

Support Groups

Support Groups Independent Living

Support Groups Education