Going to the Doctor
Some things you can do to get good care from your doctor
1. Tell your doctor what you need and how they can help you
There are lots of things you may need like:
easy information about your health
more time for your appointment
somewhere quiet to wait
seeing the same doctor every time
Tell your doctor what you need.
They should try to help you.
Make sure your doctor puts this information on their computer
Then they will know what you need next time.
If you need to go to hospital make sure the doctor tells the hospital what you need.
2. Tell your doctor if you do not understand what they say
3. You can take some information with you to the doctor
Or there is one on this website: www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/out-and-about/my-hospital-passport.aspx
4. If you are worried about seeing a new doctor
You can ask to visit the doctor’s surgery to see what it is like.
5. Ask your doctor to put something on their computer to say you have autism
This will help people know you have autism so they can give you the right support.